Boosting Omega-3 Intake: 5 Healthy Fish You Must Add to Your Diet | Photo credit: iStock Images
- Fish are a rich source of omega-3s, healthy fats, and other essential nutrients
- Before eating fish, it is necessary to check for the presence of mercury, as it can be toxic to the body
- Here are some types of fish that must be included in the diet for health reasons
New Delhi: Prepare your scuba gear as we are about to dive into the ocean of information about how healthy and tasty fish is. Due to the presence of omega-3s and healthy fats, eating fish is particularly recommended by health professionals for health benefits. Omega-3 is an essential nutrient that cannot be naturally produced by the body, so eating fish can help meet the body’s needs. According to the American Heart Association, fish must be added to the menu at least twice a week. While there may be a lot of fish in the sea, choosing the most appropriate one for you is the catch. Read on to find out more.
Healthy fish to eat
Here are some delicious and healthy fish to add to your diet:
- Salmon: Salmon is one of the most abundant types of fish and it is included in diets around the world for its benefits and taste. In addition to being a rich source of omega-3s and healthy fats, salmon can also help meet the body’s vitamin D and calcium needs, making it an excellent choice for strengthening bone health.
- Cod: You must have heard of cod liver oil. This popular fish oil supplement is widely used for its pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s made from a fish called cod, which can be an extremely healthy food. Cod is high in protein and low in fat. When this is added to the diet, people working on weight control can be of benefit.
- Mackerel: If you’re looking for a fish that will improve skin health while supporting weight management and heart health, don’t leave mackerel out of your diet. A source of healthy fats, omega-3s, and vitamin B12, mackerel is a delicious fish because of its strong taste.
- Sardines: Sardines are an excellent source of omega-3s, vitamin B12, and healthy fats, and can also help supply the body with iron, calcium, and selenium. Consuming them can help boost the immune system and get rid of oxidative stress.
- Herring: Vitamin D is needed by the body to maintain healthy bones and a strong immune system. Because of the restrictions on outdoor activities, it may have been difficult to get vitamin D from its natural source, sunlight. Herring is a rich source of vitamins D, omega-3, protein, healthy fats and proteins and needs to be added to the diet.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in this article are for general information only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or nutritionist before starting any fitness program or changing your diet.
Get the latest health news, healthy eating, weight loss, yoga and fitness tips, and other updates on Times Now